The Grapevine Report highlighted cuts to higher education in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin one of nine states to cut funding for higher education, report says

Wisconsin is one of just nine states that cut funding for higher education this fiscal year and ranks second in the nation in percentage cut, according to a report released last week.

The annual Grapevine Report, which analyzes state higher education budgets, found that fiscal support for higher education increased nationally this year. Wisconsin, however, cut higher education more severely than all but one state.

Wisconsin decreased funding for higher education by 8.1 percent, according to the report. Of the 48 states that have passed budgets, only Arizona approved a greater cut, at 14 percent.

No other state with a Big 10 university has yet made cuts to its higher education budget, although Illinois and Pennsylvania have not finalized their budgets.

Wisconsin Democrats say that state funding for the UW System and the state’s technical college system has fallen dramatically compared to the rest of the country during the tenure of Republican Governor Scott Walker. Walker’s office, however, contends the report fails to take into account various factors that go into higher education funding.

“When you are looking at UW funding, for example, you need to take into account all fund sources,” said Laurel Patrick, the governor’s spokesperson.

Patrick said that the UW System’s overall budget is actually higher than it was when Gov. Walker took office, despite “state aid constraints.”

Much of the funding that comes from outside the state budget, however, is restricted for certain uses, and cannot be used for instructional purposes.

Alex Hummel, a spokesman for the UW System, downplayed the importance of the Grapevine Report.

“It’s one more report, and it’s important to take a look at, but it’s one of many different analyses that look at higher education as a priority around the country,” Hummel said.

Hummel also praised some of Gov. Walker’s initiatives to make higher education more affordable, despite the budget cuts highlighted in the report.

“It’s good right now to see the Legislature and the Governor really making student success and affordability and access a priority … It’s very encouraging.”