By Eli Bovarnick

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Solidarity must overshadow judgment

If you have not yet watched the video of the crowd singing the National Anthem before the Boston Bruins game this past week, be sure to do so. There are few videos of recent memory that have evoked such powerful emotions of pride, sadness, unity and hope. As I heard the 18,000 voices belt out our national anthem in the wake of the Boston Marathon tragedy, I could not help but feel my eyes start to water. This rendition of the national anthem showed the world what the United States is at its best—a people united together, supportive in the face of adversity and determined enough to be defined by our shining moments and not our darkest ones. In stark contrast, the public and news media assumptions in the aftermath about who the unidentified perpetrators of this horrible crime were left me feeling ashamed.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Obama's comment toward Kamala Harris pegged as sexist

This week, as the sixth season of “Mad Men” premieres, we can reflect on a few things. First, we are again treated to the entertainment and drama the AMC series, set in the 1960s, brings.  Second, we are reminded how far our society has progressed from a time when overt sexism and demeaning women was rampant in the workplace.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Gay marriage a civil right, not destructive

In 1896 the United States Supreme Court heard the case of Plessy v. Ferguson and upheld, by all but one vote, the constitutionality of a state law requiring racial segregation in public facilities under the principle of “separate but equal.” For a country only decades removed from the abolition of slavery, the catalyst for the bloodiest war in our nation’s history, “separate but equal” seemed like a logical, safe, and conservative step in the right direction after slavery, even if it was a retreat from full equality. The Supreme Court made clear with its decisive ruling, that the country was not ready to embrace people with a different skin color as equal citizens. However, with the hindsight of history, it is clear that “separate but equal” prolonged discrimination by providing a supporting rationale, rather than aiding progress toward full equality.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

MTV's "Catfish" damaging and exploitative to participants

Philosopher Karl Marx urged his supporters to understand that someone is always benefitting from every bad situation. This ideal is applicable to the Manti Te’o hoax. Te’o, the college football star, allegedly deceived the nation by making up a girlfriend who succumbed to leukemia in order to bolster his image. As it turned out, Te’o was just supremely naïve and did not intentionally deceive the public. The entire situation became a waste of time for everyone involved, but as Marx taught, there were a few who benefitted.  As a result of Te’o’s scandal, MTV’s controversial show, “Catfish,” which deals with many of the same themes found in Te’o’s case, has become increasingly popular among young viewers. In addition, like the Te’o scandal, “Catfish” proved to be a waste of time for the public, as it is unethical and amoral.

Daily Cardinal
OPINION

Israel's Iron Dome strengthens region's chance for peace

Nov. 21, Israel and Hamas agreed to a cease fire, effectively ending the eight days of back-and-forth strikes between them. The cease fire is a crucial step towards diffusing what was an imminent conflict in an area filled with more tension than any of us here in the United States can imagine. While Hillary Clinton and Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr may have brokered the end of rocket fire it was the Israeli Military’s “Iron Dome” missile shield system that has been the real hero in these troubling days.

More articles »