Bo Ryan

Bo Ryan and the Badgers are going dancing again after winning the Big Ten Tournament and regular season championships.

Bo Ryan selected for Naismith Hall of Fame

Legendary Wisconsin Badgers men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan has been honored with a selection to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Class of 2024.

Former Wisconsin Badgers men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan is officially heading to the Naismith Hall of Fame. 

After being a finalist for the Class of 2015 and going unselected, he will join an impressive 2024 class featuring Vince Carter, Chauncey Billups, Seimone Augustus, Michael Cooper, Walter Davis, Michele Timms, Jerry West, Doug Collins, Harley Redin, Herb Simon and Charles Smith. 

Ryan, the winningest coach in Wisconsin history, left an indelible mark on the team. From 2001 to 2015, he led the team to a 364-130 record and a 74% win rate. His tenacious defenses and calculated offensive approach were instrumental in making Wisconsin's turnover rates some of the lowest in the country. 

“I’m grateful and humbled by an honor like this, but I sincerely believe that this is a reflection of the contributions of so many people who have helped me in my career,” Ryan said in a press release Saturday.

Under Ryan’s direction, Wisconsin won three Big Ten Tournaments, made seven Sweet Sixteen appearances, three Elite Eight appearances, two Final Four appearances and an NCAA Championship game appearance in 2015 against Duke. The Badgers never missed a tournament under his reign.

Before his tenure at Madison, Bo Ryan had already established himself as a coach at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. He led the Pioneers to their NCAA Division III National Championships in 1991, 1995, 1998 and 1999. Two of those teams even achieved the rare feat of posting undefeated records.

The ceremony will take place on Aug. 16 and 17 in Springfield, Massachusetts.