Wisconsin Women's Soccer vs Ohio State

5 reasons why you must attend women’s soccer games with Badgers goalkeeper Mira Issar

The Wisconsin Badgers women’s soccer team is an underappreciated talent on campus. Goalkeeper Mira Issar highlights why you should attend a women’s soccer game during your time at UW-Madison.

It’s no secret the Wisconsin Badgers women’s soccer team doesn’t receive as much attention as other sports on campus, and that’s why I decided to spotlight Wisconsin women’s soccer’s goalkeeper, Mira Issar, as she and her team are as deserving of the same hype as other Badgers teams.

In a recent sit-down talk with the Chicago-suburb native, we discussed everything from her team’s spring training games to her favorite restaurant in Madison (which is Eno Vino, when her parents are in town, of course, because it’s not cheap). 

My notes afterwards were a jumbled assortment of wide-ranging topics. But I found one common theme throughout: the women’s soccer team is insanely talented, and they deserve your attention.

Here’s why you need to pay more attention to the women’s soccer team, courtesy of insider knowledge from Issar herself.

1. The talent on the team is undeniably striking

Between recent graduate Emma Jaskaniec, who was drafted to the Utah Royals, and freshman star Hailey Baumann, who was named to the United States’ Under-19 Women’s Youth National Team roster, this squad is filled with talent. 

And, fun fact: current U.S. Women’s National Team player and frequent starter, Rose Lavelle, played for the Badgers from 2013-16. The talent is endless.

2. The team succeeds in an incredibly competitive conference

The women’s soccer team made it to the Big Ten Conference championship game this season, proving their talent and ability to thrive against some of the best teams in the country.

“There is so much competition in the division and it makes us better in the long run”, said Issar.

Issar noted that from here, a goal that she had for next year is to make it far again in the Big Ten tournament, along with making it further in the NCAA tournament. With this talent, this upcoming season could be the year Wisconsin wins it all.

3. They work so hard

The team is constantly practicing — merely glancing at Mira’s schedule sent me into a shock. Between lifting with the team, frequent practice sessions, and team bonding events, not to mention being full time students, the players are constantly busy.

That dedication and hard work deserves reciprocal dedicated support. I don’t know how the team does it; all I know is that they don’t get enough hype for what they do.

4. The team chemistry is awesome

Although there’s an inevitably competitive culture on the team, Issar said it’s a healthy one centered around community and support. 

She explained, “I feel comfortable going up to any upperclassman because there is no intimidation factor.” 

And even though Issar is ultimately competing for playing time against other goalkeepers, she said they’re still some of her good friends. Wisconsin’s team dynamic is electric, and who doesn’t want to support a team like that?

“If you are the number one starter or not the number one starter, everyone just wants what is best for the team”, Issar said.

5. Mira and one of her close friends and teammate, Erin Connolly, are looking for spikeball and bags/cornhole competition

Issar said that she and her teammate Erin Connolly enjoy playing spikeball and bags/cornhole and recalled recently playing with Connolly against other teammates.

Issar said they “cooked everyone” on their team in both games. 

Issar and Connolly are looking for more competition, and maybe you could be their next post-match challenger. “If you have any challenges, bring them my way,” Issar said with a smile.

It’s now your duty to show up to women’s soccer games next season and celebrate a stellar team that doesn’t get the attention it deserves. The Badgers play at McClimon Track and Soccer Complex, which, with your help, can be packed next season.