TRC-1.jpg
The Tenant Resource Center in Madison, WI, photographed Feb. 2.

Tenant Resource Center moves buildings to accommodate tenants’ privacy and space needs

The Tenant Resource Center will open a new location Thursday to continue its efforts in assisting renters amid a housing shortage in Madison.

The Tenant Resource Center will open its new location Thursday at 2510 Winnebago St. to adapt to tenant’s needs amidst the Madison housing crisis.

The TRC is a nonprofit organization designed to provide reliable education as well as support for tenants and rental property owners navigating local and state housing laws, according to the organization’s website. Additionally, the TRC provides a variety of free services, such as housing counseling services, mediation, reviewing leases and eviction diversion and defense through partnerships with local attorneys.

Hannah Renfro, TRC executive director, previously told The Daily Cardinal the group’s mission is to provide solutions that ensure everyone in the Madison community has safe and affordable housing.

The center’s move from their office in the Social Justice Center, located on Williamson Street, is designed to give the TRC adequate space for their staffing needs, according to Madison District 5 Ald. Regina Vidaver. 

According to the TRC’s website, the new building will provide more privacy for community members to discuss rental concerns, a dedicated space for tenants to attend initial virtual court hearings, a larger waiting area to accommodate families seeking services, easy-access parking and a large conference room for meetings and training. 

District 8 Ald. MGR Govindarajan told the Cardinal the TRC was “one of the most beneficial resources UW-Madison students have in the midst of the city’s housing crisis.” 

“I've personally been able to use their services to review my lease, understand building code and safety procedures and work through a complaint system when I had problems with my landlord and apartment,” Govindarajan said. “I encourage all students to use the resources available to them through the TRC.” 

The housing crisis began to take off near the end of the pandemic, according to Govindarajan. Estimates from the Wisconsin Department of Administration indicate Madison’s population increased by over 12,000 residents from 2020 to 2023, according to the State of Wisconsin Department of Administration. 

As University of Wisconsin-Madison enrollment increases, affordable housing has become harder to find for students and Madison residents.

“Right now we're seeing a shortage of safe housing,” Govindarajan said. “The TRC is vital in ensuring that tenants have the information they need to hold their landlords accountable and ensure the structural safety of the residence and the tenants themselves.” 

Madison’s year-over-year rent increased by 14.1% from March 2022 to March 2023, the largest rise in average rent among large cities in the United States. 

Vidaver urged Dane County residents to seek support from the TRC while trying to navigate the housing crisis.

“These services are all more important in a tight housing market, in which the threat of loss of housing can be particularly dangerous,” Vidaver said.