Gavin Escott Evers State Address.JPG
Gov. Tony Evers delivers his 2024 State of the State address in the Wisconsin State Capitol building on Jan. 23, 2024.

Evers signs direct UW admissions pathway for top high school students

Gov. Tony Evers signed a bill Tuesday creating a direct admissions pathway to University of Wisconsin System campuses for Wisconsin high school students who achieve high academic performance. 

Students in the top 5% of their class will receive guaranteed admission into UW-Madison, while students scoring among the top 10% will be guaranteed a spot at all other UW universities. 

Under the bill, schools must implement a ranking system to identify top-performing students that may take into consideration grade-point average, ACT score or other markers of academic achievement. The top student in schools with class sizes of fewer than 20 will be considered in the top 5%, while homeschooled students who receive a high school diploma and score in the top 5% on the ACT statewide will also be eligible for guaranteed admission.

Universities may revoke acceptance if the student doesn’t graduate high school or drops their academic performance after applying. 

Evers said in a statement the measure will bolster the state’s workforce and “keep our state’s homegrown talent right here in Wisconsin.”

“I’m glad to be signing this important legislation that will help address our state’s generational workforce challenges by ensuring greater access and opportunities for our kids to go to school, start their careers and build their futures in Wisconsin,” Evers said.

The law is part of a deal negotiated in December between the Republican-controlled Legislature and UW System leaders to provide funding for university employee pay raises and building projects in exchange for a hiring cap and restructuring of university diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) programs. 

Francesca Pica

Francesca Pica is the city news editor emeritus for The Daily Cardinal. She has covered multiple municipal elections and is a leading reporter on Madison labor issues. Additionally, she served as a summer intern for The Capital Times and currently serves as a WisPolitics intern.