1st Single Art.png
courtesy of thumbs up records

EMWAY to release single packed with scream vocals, upbeat guitar riffs

With a new single on the way, EMWAY brings a refreshing voice to the alternative music scene.

Madison Midwest emo band Excuse Me, Who Are You? (EMWAY) bring a refreshing voice to alternative music with their upcoming single, “Maybe That Truck Hit Me… And This Was All a Dream,” set to release on March 8. 

The single was produced by EMWAY with help from Alan Morris, member of fellow Madison band Endswell, and Gary Cioni from Sound Acres Studio. Also featured on the track is Tyler Stodghill, lead vocalist of Stars Hollow. 

EMWAY’s members are guitarist Stuart Benjamin, vocalist Kyle Kinney, drummer Hayden Johnson and Jackson Pertzborn on bass. The band’s style strays from the now-popular emo-pop genre and brings back a more punk style to the scene. 

“Maybe That Truck Hit Me…And This Was All a Dream” follows a similar style to the songs featured on their EP. Featuring a yell-scream style of vocals accompanied by chaotic, upbeat guitar riffs, EMWAY bring emotion into emo music through blunt, relatable lyrics.

EMWAY’s first EP, “About That Beer I Owed Ya,” was released in 2022 and showcases their talent and unique sound, especially with the tracks “...In the Test Chamber'' and “Urine Luck.” EMWAY’s music has a raw and unpolished feel that connects listeners, allowing them to partake in the same catharsis EMWAY expresses through their songs 

“Maybe That Truck Hit Me…And This Was All a Dream” channels feelings of self-depreciation, sadness, frustration and anger. The song puts into words what it feels like to get over someone you were once close to alongside the accompanying longing and disconnect. Their lyrics freely describe the anguish and sadness that comes with reminiscing on old memories, feelings of nostalgia and the acceptance and gratitude that comes with learning to be alone again. 

Furthermore, the song touches on the theme that while we can be both fond and weary of memories, we can choose to appreciate them for all that they have to offer. “Maybe That Truck Hit Me…And This Was All a Dream” is the perfect song to listen to whether you’re getting over a breakup, going through life changes, missing an old friend or simply reflecting on life. 

EMWAY has shown clear dedication and persistence in sharing their voice and breaking into the emo scene beyond Madison. On the podcast “Beers With Bands,” the members of EMWAY expressed their goal to put Madison back on the map and draw more attention to its emo scene. They mentioned their appreciation for the Madison emo scene and discussed topics such as basement venues that were popular before the COVID-19 pandemic. They also started playing shows on State Street, getting four-hour permits for $16 and performing for passersby and Madison tourists. They said that was one of the things that further prompted them to solidify the band, and they have gained more popularity since as they stuck with their sound. 

EMWAY recently went on tour with Tiny Voices, another alternative band from Wisconsin, and will perform in Milwaukee on March 8 with the release of their new single. 

EMWAY has shown a clear ability to write catchy songs within their genre of Midwest emo and to also look beyond expectations and incorporate their own sound and voice in their music. One has to appreciate the way EMWAY can so boldly express emotions and messages. There is no doubt that with the authenticity they bring forward, they will continue to connect with listeners and gain success through their music.