Football_Versus_Minnesota_0010.JPG
Wisconsin loses the Axe rivalry game versus Minnesota 16-23 at Camp Randall at the University of Wisconsin–Madison on Nov. 26, 2022. (Photo by Taylor Wolfram / The Daily Cardinal)

The Big Ten’s rankings for the 2023 college football season

Diving into the Badgers’ preseason ranking among the B1G Ten and beyond

College Football is back in action, and the buzz is real. 

The Associated Press launched its first official poll for the upcoming 2023-2024 season. This preseason ranking is like the opening act, giving us a sneak peek of all the excitement ahead. 

Let's take a moment to appreciate the rankings that are shaping the conversation across the nation:

The Badgers wrapped up the previous season with a 7-6 record and narrowly missed the final NCAA Top 25 Poll for College Football. But things are looking up. New head coach Luke Fickell is turning heads, and we've got some noteworthy transfers as well — including QB Tanner Mordecai from SMU and WR C.J. Williams from USC. These moves earned the Badgers a No. 19 preseason ranking and a solid chance to make some noise this year.

At the top of the rankings is Georgia, the reigning back-to-back national champions. They're setting the pace, aiming for an impressive third consecutive championship — a feat not accomplished since Minnesota's successes in 1934-1936. Georgia's head coach, Kirby Smart, faces a unique test this season as he guides the team without the services of veteran quarterback Stetson Bennett, who was selected in the NFL Draft. 

Rounding out the Top 5 are Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama and LSU. 

Wisconsin is one of many Big 10 teams in the Top 25. While Michigan secures the No. 2 spot and Ohio State closely trails at No. 3, Penn State claims the No. 7 spot. Notably, Iowa is right on the heels of the Badgers at No. 25. 

However, the landscape is evolving. The collapse of the PAC 12 has brought in new contenders to the Big 10 for the 2024 season, including No. 6 USC, No. 10 Washington, and No. 15 Oregon.

Looking ahead to the upcoming action, we can't miss the exciting matchups on Wisconsin's 2023 schedule. Wisconsin is set to go up against two ranked opponents from the AP's Top 25 List. First, a game against Big 10 West rivals Iowa on Oct. 15th followed by a highly anticipated showdown against Ohio State at Camp Randall on Oct. 28th.

So, Badgers, get ready for a season filled with excitement, emotion and moments that will stay with us long after the final whistle. The preseason poll has set the tone for the journey ahead, and it's time to come together and show our support for the team. Let's embrace the shared spirit of college football that brings us all together. On, Wisconsin!