milkychanceband.jpg

German rock band Milky Chance performs live at the Sylvee in Madison, Wis. 

Milky Chance brings Berlin to Madison

The Sylvee transformed into a European dance club as German alt-pop duo Milky Chance made their first-ever appearance in Madison. The sold-out show included top hit “Stolen Dance,” a three-song encore and arguably the most epic harmonica solo of all time.

milkychanceband.jpg

Milky Chance brought good vibes into the main set, opening with “Synchronize” from their new album, “Living In a Haze,” which debuted at No. 4 on Spotify’s USA Top Album debut chart and No. 8 on the Global chart – a catchy tempo with a nice guitar, building into a faster and more upbeat rhythm. 

Currently on their Summer Haze tour, the duo embraces the liberating feelings of summer break, asking the audience to simply “let loose” with them. Streaks of light pulsed to the beat, bringing a sense of movement and rhythm to every corner of the Sylvee. The audience loosely danced while Milky Chance experimented with acoustic and remixed versions of fan favorites, gracing Madison with an incredibly unique performance, as this refreshing and let-loose scene is hard to find in midwest nightlife.

Opening was Canadian singer-songwriter TALK, who got the crowd dancing and giggling. Dressed in his iconic colorful overalls and croc ensemble, he wasn’t embarrassed to pause mid-song for a quick burp or to take a break for a croc-slinging contest — a skill he has worked to perfect. He wasn’t wrong — the crocs reached the bar after forcefully kicking them off his feet into the crowd. 

talkband.jpg

TALK’s songs are inspired by life’s most precious moments and people, such as his newest release “A Little Bit Happy,” or a personal favorite, “Afraid of the Dark,” which honors his grandmother. TALK has the voice of an alternative, indie-rock angel, plus he writes all his songs, plays all instruments and produces his own tracks. I have no doubt TALK will be returning to Madison, as he expressed his deep love for Wisconsin, specifically for its “beer, cheese, and Green Bay Packers.

The show ended with TALK coming back on stage once more to duet "Stolen Dance. From the audience, it felt as though we were all part of one big happy family. In that moment, we shared a certain intimacy with each other and with the performers onstage. 

I came out of the show expecting to be right in Berlin, exhausted from dancing and smiling so hard from a truly spectacular show.