bascom.jpg

UW-Madison begins search for new Vice Provost

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has yet to fill the position of vice provost for data, academic planning and institutional research since Jan. 1 following the retirement of Jocelyn Milner at the end of the 2021-22 academic year

The Vice Provost manages 20 associates who guide university decisions and strategies. The position also entails collaborations with university stakeholders to evaluate educational, research and budgeting data used for decisions on future projects. Institutional Associate Director, Allison La Tarte, is currently serving as interim associate vice provost, according to a Jan. 23 university release

“The university is looking for a leader with a clear, forward-looking vision,” said Kelly Tyrrell, director of media relations and strategic communications. “The right person will also be a collaborative leader and consensus builder who can build, trust and sustain relationships and they should be a respectful leader who operates with authenticity and integrity and demonstrates a commitment to diversity.”

Earlier this month, the university created a search-and-screen committee to help evaluate each candidate. This board is chaired by Ananth Seshadri, a professor of economics in the College of Letters & Science. It also consists of 12 other faculty members who assist in the decision-making process. 

Former Vice Provost, Jocelyn Milner, held the position for over three decades. During her tenure, Milner implemented the Lumen academic and curricular management platform and boosted graduation rates as well as time-to-degree metrics to all-time highs, according to the 2021 university release. 

“Jocelyn [Milner] has made an extraordinary impact at UW-Madison, shepherding a vast array of academic programs and policies, including our new portfolio of revenue-generating programs and our online portfolio,” Provost Karl Scholz noted in the 2021 university press release.

Those looking to apply must submit a current resume or curriculum vitae and a cover letter to Professor Ananth Seshadri by Feb. 28. Additionally, nominations are accepted through email.