Toney Kaul.jpg
Courtesy of Eric Toney via Facebook and SLR Images / Creative Commons

Wisconsin Attorney General race preview

Here's what you should know about the attorney general candidates.

On Tuesday, Nov. 8, the next attorney general will be elected along with other state positions. The Democratic candidate is incumbent Josh Kaul, who has been in office since 2018, while the Republican counterpart is Eric Toney, Fond du Lac County prosecutor. 

Josh Kaul aims to combat the drug epidemic and make abortions available and safe. He also hopes to pursue justice for sexual assault survivors and support law enforcement and safer schools if reelected. 

Eric Toney primarily discussed reducing crime and instantiating laws pertaining to election integrity in his bid for attorney general. Toney also aims to uphold the previously instituted ban on abortions.

If Tim Michels is elected as governor and Amy Loudenbeck as secretary of state, the elections community could be dissolved. This would give Wisconsin's secretary of state more control over the state's election process, as the attorney general works closely with the election administration and many Republican representatives believe the 2020 presidential election was “stolen,” according to POLITICO

Given the recent reversal of Roe v. Wade, if Kaul is elected, he is slated to push to make abortion safe and legal, while Toney looks to uphold the current ruling according to WPR

The future of legal issues such as abortion, election laws, law enforcement and the second amendment in Wisconsin will be determined by the Nov. 8 midterm election.