Homicide charges expected after victim in Wednesday night’s shooting dies

The shooting was "premeditated, preplanned and targeted,” says Police Chief Shon Barnes.

The victim of Wednesday’s shooting was pronounced dead at the hospital later that night after suffering from gun wounds. 

On Wednesday around 5:10 p.m., a man in his thirties was shot on the 200 block of South Caroll Street shortly after exiting the Dane County Jail. The first officer on the scene saw the victim after he was shot and provided first aid until Emergency Medical Services arrived. 

The incident is now believed to be premeditated and preplanned, Madison Police Chief Shon Barnes stated in a community update. 

Additional information on the victim's name will not be revealed until it is released by the Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office as per standard protocol. 

One of the two “persons of interest” that were taken into custody shortly after the shooting is now considered a suspect and is expected to face homicide charges, according to Barnes. 

The Madison Police Department is still working to determine the motive for the shooting and if it was gang-related. 

Wednesday’s shooting marks Madison’s first homicide of 2022 and “serves as a reminder that gun violence does not belong in the Madison community,” Barnes said. 

Barnes said it’s “very concerning” that the incident occurred during the day outside the Dane County Sheriff's Office and the Dane County Police Department and noted the concern of downtown workers and residents.

“I want to acknowledge that this shooting has many people who work downtown on edge,” Barnes said. “It’s scary for me to think that this took place in a very public area where people come to live and to simply work.”

On Thursday, Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway issued a press release stating that the homicide reveals larger gun violence problems across the country and that Madison leaders are working to limit gun violence in the community. 

“Unfortunately, this high-profile homicide is part of a larger pattern of gun violence across our country,” Rhodes-Conway said. “I want to assure the community that our work to curb violence in our community continues.”

Over a dozen shell casings were found in the vicinity of the victim, and officers recovered a weapon which will be investigated to determine if it was used in the shooting. 

Barnes credited the MPD, partnering departments and investigators for their quick response and continued effort. 

“I want to thank everyone for the long hours they put in last night and the long hours they'll continue to put in until we completely bring this case to a successful resolution,” Barnes said.

Barnes added that they will update the MPD website as more information comes in and asks that anyone with information call the department or the Madison Area Crime Stoppers.