Mask mandate extended in Dane County.

Face mask extension in Dane County

Madison and Dane County extend face covering emergency order

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has already extended its mask mandate to Nov. 26.

Madison and Dane County will extend its emergency order requiring face masks to be worn indoors and in public spaces until Nov. 27, the health department announced on Monday

Public Health Madison & Dane County's new order, Emergency Order No. 2, requires face coverings for individuals above the age of two “in any enclosed space open to the public where other people, except for members of the person’s household or living unit are present [and when] driving or riding in any form of public transportation.”

PHMDC cited a high level of COVID-19 community transmission within Dane County as the cause for the extension. 

However, after the order expires, PHMDC does not plan to seek another extension.

“This decision comes as a result of decreasing case rates, increasing vaccination rates and the expansion of eligibility for booster doses which will only help strengthen our collective immunity,” said Director of PHMDC Janel Heinrich in a statement. “It is no coincidence that transmission is dropping; it reflects the result of intentional, effective public health interventions and another incredible effort by the people of Dane County.”

The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s face covering rule was extended to Nov. 26 in late September. According to spokesperson Meredith McGlone, it’s too soon to determine if the university will pursue another face covering policy after the current one expires.

"We continue to monitor conditions on campus and in the community as well as evolving public health guidance,” McGlone told The Daily Cardinal.

The emergency order will be in effect from Nov. 5 to Nov. 27.