Monday, March 18, 2024
Photo of Bascom Hall.

The UW System will receive about $275 million from the American Rescue Plan. Debates remain about who should allocate federal funding coming to Wisconsin. 

UW-Madison ranked No. 14 among public universities

The University of Wisconsin-Madison ranked No. 14 among best public institutions, according to the 2022 U.S. News & World Report. UW-Madison tied for No. 42 overall with Boston University, Brandeis, Case Western and Tulane. 

UW-Madison’s ranking as the best public institution dropped by one from last year’s report, however the overall No. 42 rank remained the same.

“I am proud that UW-Madison is once again being recognized for its quality,” Chancellor Rebecca Blank said in a press release. “Although rankings are only one of many measures of performance, it is good to share this recognition as we begin a new school year.” 

There were a total of 389 national doctoral universities released in this year's U.S. News ranking. Amongst these schools, Princeton ranked No. 1, and Columbia, Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) tied for No. 2.

U.S. News collected data about the academic reputations, graduation rates, social mobility, financial opportunities and faculty resources of each school. Each category is weighted differently, and U.S. News assesses which ones are of higher importance.

Undergraduate business, engineering and computer science programs are also included in the evaluations. This year, UW-Madison’s business program ranked No. 19 overall, engineering ranked No. 15 and computer science ranked No. 18. 

Previously, these UW-Madison undergraduate programs were ranked higher. Last year the business program was ranked No. 16 overall, engineering No. 3 and computer science No. 16. 

U.S. News rankings included UW-Madison in two other additional categories. The university ranked No. 20 overall and No. 14 among public universities for the best colleges for veterans, and No. 14 among public universities for the best value school. According to the U.S. News, the best value school measures the institution’s academic quality and net cost of attendance for out-of-state students on financial aid. 

To ensure favorable comparisons, UW-Madison is ranked among other universities with similar academic opportunities. These opportunities may include a wide range of undergraduate majors and master’s or doctoral programs.