Dominant image.png

Proposed redistricting plan 7a includes the Spring Street area and all residence halls. 

City of Madison unveils two new proposals to keep Lakeshore dorms, Southwest campus neighborhoods in District 8

The City of Madison proposed two new plans Thursday afternoon to keep university residence halls and Spring Street apartments in District 8 with Alder District Concepts 7a and 7b.

The newly introduced plans follow concerns from legislators and students against breaking up District 8. The City of Madison is still considering Concept 5b, which would move the Lakeshore dorms and eventually the Spring Street and College Court neighborhoods into District 5 but keep the rest of campus buildings in District 8.  

content-image.png

Proposed redistricting plan 7b also features both the Spring Street area and all residence halls. 

UW-Madison student and District 8 Alder, Juliana Bennett, helped spearhead the efforts and considers the new maps a step in the right direction towards providing students with representation. 

“In a city where one in six Madison residents are students, it is absolutely crucial for students to be represented in the city of Madison. These maps reflect that value,” said Bennett. “It means that we’ll be able to continue the tradition of electing student leaders to council and having our unique needs represented and accounted for by someone that shares our lived experiences as students.”

The Redistricting Committee will meet today to discuss public feedback on the maps and give its final recommendation to the Madison City Council on Oct. 7.