Vaccine_clinic_campus21_7254
Hoang-Anh Maica Ho (left), nursing student, vaccinates UW students during a COVID-19 vaccination clinic conducted at the Carson Gully Center

UW-Madison to offer 'encouragement' in place of UW’s vaccine scholarship program

Last month, the UW System announced the “70 for 70” vaccination incentive program intended to encourage students at all UW campuses — except UW-Madison — to get vaccinated against COVID-19. Students on campuses that reach a 70 percent vaccination rate will be eligible for one of 70, $7,000 scholarships, according to a UW System release.

UW-Madison, although not participating in the scholarship program, continues to push for the campus community to get vaccinated against COVID-19. The university has already exceeded the 70 percent threshold for both employees and students.

When asked why the university is not participating in the scholarship program, university spokesperson Meredith McGlone explained that UW-Madison “has been working on a program of encouraging vaccination, examination of vaccination data and disclosure of vaccination status since May.”

UW System Director of Media Relations Mark Pitsch reiterated this sentiment, explaining that UW-Madison has “other resources” and has developed an independent promotion campaign.

“Currently, 90% of employees are vaccinated and we have exceeded our goal of 80% for students,” said McGlone, noting that the numbers will be updated the week of Aug. 30 as there has been increased interest in vaccinations following the announcement of a campus-wide testing requirement for those that are unvaccinated or have yet to submit proof of vaccination to the university. 

UHS administered 153 shots the week of Aug. 15-23, 85 more doses than the previous week according to the university’s coronavirus dashboard.

The university will also inform students, staff and faculty, that are Wisconsin residents, of their eligibility to receive a $100 gift card from the state, as long as they are vaccinated by Sept. 6. UW-Madison will be doing this in an effort to encourage COVID-19 vaccinations, said McGlone. 

As of Monday, August 30, 66,204 UW-Madison students and employees have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. 

Sophia Vento

Sophia Vento is the former editor-in-chief of The Daily Cardinal. She previously served as the college news editor. She has covered breaking campus, city, state and sports news, and written in-depth stories about health, culture and education. Any newsroom would be lucky to have Sophia on staff. Follow her on Twitter at @sophiasvento.