Photo of Barry Alvarez.

Barry Alvarez expected to retire after 32 years

Athletic Director and former head football coach Barry Alvarez is expected to retire after 32 years at UW-Madison, sources told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel broke the news Saturday, reporting that multiple sources confirmed that Alvarez will likely announce his retirement in the next few weeks.

Alvarez was previously expected to remain with UW-Madison until Jan. 1 2022, when he would receive a lump-sum payment of $375,000. However, his plans have changed and he will retire sooner than expected, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

"He was very comfortable with the decision," a source told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

Alvarez started as the UW-Madison athletic director in 2004 and was the head coach of the football team for 16 seasons. He held both jobs for about a year and a half before leaving the football team after its 2005 season to focus on his role as Athletic Director.

Alvarez led the Badgers to their first Rose Bowl victory and three Big Ten Titles during his time as head football coach. 

Alvarez wants the UW’s deputy athletic director Chris McIntosh to replace him as athletic director, reports the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

McIntosh played football for Alvarez and was an All-American offensive tackle in 1999. McIntosh has been the deputy athletic director since 2017 and has worked for the athletic department since 2014. 

Chancellor Rebecca Blank will ultimately select the next athletic director, though Alvarez hopes to see McIntosh replace him, reported the Wisconsin State Journal