News_UWGreenBay.jpg

UW-Green Bay’s 12-member search and screen committee selected four finalists Wednesday.

UW-Green Bay chancellor search finalists announced

UW System President Ray Cross announced four finalists in the UW-Green Bay chancellor search Wednesday. 

The 12-member search and screen committee, led by Regent Robert Atwell and UW-Green Bay professor Michael Draney, recommended the following candidates: 

• Michael Alexander, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at UW-Green Bay
  • Mark Biermann, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Valparaiso University in Indiana
  • Teresa Flannery, policy fellow at American University’s Center for University Excellence in Washington, D.C. 
  • Lori Vermeulen, former provost and vice president for academic affairs at Stockton University in New Jersey

Biermann was also a finalist in the UW-Stout chancellor search, which took place last fall. The UW-Stout search committee ultimately selected Katherine Frank.  

In an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio, Atwell praised the search committee’s selections.

“I think the committee is very pleased with the general interest in the position,” he told WPR. “We had extensive interviews with 10 potential candidates and concluded that these were the best four, and we're really pleased with the depth and the quality of the pool.”

One of the four finalists will replace former UW-Green Bay Chancellor Gary Miller, who left his role at the end of September to become president at the University of Akron in Ohio.

Over the next few weeks, the four finalists will each participate in a public forum on the UW-Green Bay campus. Cross and a Regent committee will interview the remaining candidates March 26.

The committee could select a new chancellor as early as April, Atwell told WPR.