Pip the Pansy.jpg

Pip the Pansy Dazzles Earthlings in Madison

On a cold Wisconsin Valentine’s Day, Pip the Pansy’s bright, upbeat and powerful performance offered a pleasant ­­­escape from the weather outside. On a stage dressed with flowers, her dark, heavy synth contrasted with light, punchy melodies and mystic flute solos to give her a strong electro-pop sound. Her music was at the same time both uplifting and easy listening, as well as personal, emotional and impactful.

As Pip the Pansy took the stage — flute slung across her back like an arrow — she emitted a captivating, otherworldly persona that overwhelmed the space with the feel of a flowery daydream. She opened her set with “All My Friends Are Animals,” a track characterized by a bouncy and airy pop riff, which set the tone for a spectacular night.

Throughout her performance, Pip the Pansy maintained an expressive energy that contagiously seeped into the audience. During each and every song, she jumped and danced on stage with an unabashed eccentricity (think Billie Eilish) and several times throughout the performance found herself out in the crowd. While performing the rap breakdown in “Indigo Fantasy,” Pip the Pansy ventured into the audience to perform and even hopped up on the bar counter while an audience member held the mic stand.

Displaying the darker side of her repertoire, Pip the Pansy included “Medusa” in her set, a single off her new EP, Love Legends, Pt. I. Using a second microphone to distort her voice into a gravelly, piercing tone, Pip the Pansy laid it all on the line performing the eerie track. But of course, she took the opportunity to ease the tension by performing acoustic with a ukulele later in the set.

Pip the Pansy 2.jpg
Voyage ATL

…Oh, and there was a live painter too. For the duration of the show, local artist Jennika Bastian worked to unveil what she described as a “female lover version” of William Bouguereau’s “The Abduction of Psyche,” only adding to Pip the Pansy’s mystic persona.

If you are unfamiliar with Pip the Pansy, I highly encourage you to check her out! Her new EP Love Legends, Pt. I is streaming now, and, in addition to the songs mentioned above, I would recommend “Tuscan Skies,” “Siren Song” and “Breathing Fire.” Jennika Bastian’s work is also posted on her website, and I would certainly recommend for anyone to take a look at that as well.

Jordan Simon is an editor for the Almanac, to read more of his work click here