News_CampKesem.jpeg

Nearly 300 kids attended UW-Madison’s Camp Kesem in the summer of 2019. 

UW-Madison’s Camp Kesem aims to help children affected by parent’s cancer

Lizzie Geiger has first-hand experience of what it is like to have a parent go through cancer treatment, and understands the impact others’ support can have on the process.

Geiger, co-director of Camp Kesem, found a way to make that same impact for other children whose parents are going through the same thing.

Camp Kesem is a student organization on campus that provides children, ages six through 18, whose parents have or had cancer with resources and support; their flagship program sends those children to a week of free summer camp where they make connections with other campers in similar situations. 

“Kesem was something I really resonated with because I had a parent with cancer growing up,” Geiger said. “I definitely resonated with the mission, and it was a great way for me to make an impact.”

Along with Geiger, Morgan Lentz and Madeline Petre are the co-directors of the UW-Madison chapter, which is the only chapter out of 125 nationwide that holds three weeks of their flagship camp. This allows the chapter to provide 287 kids with the camp experience.

At camp, the children experience a week away from their parents’ cancer, engulfed in sports, arts and crafts at Camp Lakotah. 

“At camp, we don’t really talk about cancer,” Lentz said. “We just focus on having a fun week where we encourage the kids to just have fun, be kids and get away from their adultlike responsibilities for a week.”

Outside of the summer season, campers experience year-round support, including care packages, special deliveries, letters and family gatherings. The support services are funded by donations raised throughout the year, including their main fundraisers on Giving Tuesday and at their ‘Make the Magic’ Gala. 

Last year alone, the Gala raised over $175,000. This year’s fundraiser is set for Saturday, April 4 at the Madison Concourse Hotel.

“Any donation really does make a difference,” Lentz said. “We are thankful for all of the donors that we have for Camp Kesem because they make Camp Kesem’s mission possible.”

This year, the organization’s fundraising goal is $306,000. Their flagship camp sessions will be held in July and August.

“When I went to my first week of camp, I had a camper say to me that this was the best week of their life, and when she said that to me, I quickly responded, ‘Mine too!’” Lentz said. “I realized it really was the best week of my life.”

Gina Musso

Gina Musso is a Senior Staff Writer at The Daily Cardinal. She previously served as College News Editor and Features Editor, focusing coverage around student government, campus COVID updates and in-depth reporting. Follow her on Twitter @gina__musso.