news_SSFC.jpeg

Chair Jordan Pasbrig called the SSFC meeting to order Monday night.  

The Black Voice highlights online student engagement in budget hearing

The Student Services Finance Committee held a budget hearing for The Black Voice Monday to plan for the upcoming fiscal year.

The Black Voice is “an online safe space for the African diasporic students attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison and affiliated communities,” according to their website

Representatives asked the student organization about their programming and events including their intentions to send two students to the National Association of Black Journalists conference in Atlanta, GA.

Co-Editor-in-Chief Shiloah Coley and co-fundraising Chair Kingsley-Reigne Pissang emphasized their desire to increase student engagement with their publication. 

“Our main goal is to be able to expand our programming on campus to be able to support campus and work with other students on campus, spread our mission and be able to engage students through different events and programs that we’re hosting on campus,” Coley said. 

Rep. Landon Tselepis inquired about The Black Voice’s lodging budget for the two students attending the NABJ, expressing concerns over the estimated cost of hotel rooms in Atlanta. 

SSFC will vote on The Black Voice’s budget request on Thursday night.