news_SSFC.JPG

Sex Out Loud strives to deliver student-centered, sex-positive and comprehensive sexual education to UW-Madison students

More than just condoms: SSFC hears from Sex Out Loud

The Student Services Finance Committee heard from Sex Out Loud Tuesday night. 

Sex Out Loud, which “promotes healthy sexuality through sex-positive education and activism,” has been a student organization on the UW-Madison for over 20 years.

The organization’s services can come in the form of 60 to 90-minute workshops, peer-to-peer counseling and other supportive programming such as handing out condoms, according to their presentation Tuesday. These services attempt to bring benefits of sexual education to the student without having to go to their office.

Song Kim, a Sex Out Loud member, emphasized the ability of the student organization to serve the student body while still providing individualized education to fit the needs of students through these core programs.

Any individual or group of students can take advantage of Sex Out Loud’s services free of charge.

Rep. Landon Tslpesis inquired about the educational value of some of the programs offered by Sex Out Loud, such as Kink or Advanced Pleasure workshops.

“It’s really important to understand that when were talking about inclusivity and comprehensiveness of our programs that means that were covering a broad range of topics,” Kim said.

Kim said that her organization strives to increase students’ understanding of certain aspects of sexuality — and break down stereotypes. 

“One of our values is stigma reduction … how can we look at sex and human sexuality in a positive light,” Kim said.

A vote will be held on Thursday to decide Sex Out Loud’s GSSF eligibility.

SSFC also granted GSSF eligibility to the Student Veterans Association during the meeting.

Despite no vote Thursday, the committee discussed the initiation of two new members who will fill the vacant SSFC spots.