news_UHSonline.JPG

The program aims to open up the conversation around suicide and mental health stigma on campus.

UHS Implements online suicide prevention program

Last week, University Health Services implemented a new suicide prevention program aiming to increase students’ awareness of suicide and understand the skills needed for prevention. 

Launched in the same week as World Mental Health day, UHS rolled out the program in partnership with DoIT via Canvas after spending the last year collaborating with different campus partners.

Students can complete four modules through the program ranging from introducing basic terminology to instructions on when to reach out to a crisis line with a duration of about 90 minutes total. 

Valerie Donavon, Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Promotion Coordinator, hopes the program will become widespread on campus and leave a positive, lasting impact. 

“I’m hopeful that as more students take it that more of the student body can recognize signs and is more effective in responding,” Donovan said. “And that they’ll understand what resources are available and feel less alone, ultimately reducing the stigma around mental health concerns.” 

Donovan encouraged students to look out for warning signs if they are concerned about the mental health of a friend. The signs vary from person to person — some of the most common ones include a change in mood, personal hygiene, relationships, sleep changes and talk about harming oneself or suicide, according to Donovan.

“Students should remember that they’re not alone in responding and providing support,” Donovan said. “Checking in, expressing empathy and concern and even asking directly if a friend is okay opens up the dialogue and creates a safe space.” 

The program is available to anyone with a NetID. UHS encourages students to visit the mental health section of their website or call 608-265-5600 for the Mental Health Crisis Line.