College 101: Cars and Consequences

I was recently involved in a car accident. It was scary, and it left me with some pretty serious problems. My car was totaled, which really stinks — I loved that car, and I’m just a poor college student without a way to replace it. I also ended up in the hospital with some injuries. I thought they were minor, but, lately, I’ve been getting a lot of headaches and have been back and forth with doctors trying to figure out what’s going on. The doctors think I have a concussion, and they think it’s related to the accident.

I’m getting really frustrated, because the insurance stuff has been moving slowly and the company seems like its really lowballing me on the damage to my car. I’m stuck with headaches and no car. All of this for an accident that wasn’t even my fault! I’m starting to think about calling a lawyer. Experts, should I?

Yes.

Yours is a complicated situation, but the question you asked has a relatively straightforward answer, explains an expert car accident attorney. You absolutely should contact a lawyer — and the sooner, the better.

Sure, maybe things will work out; maybe your headaches will disappear, the insurance company will have a moment of clarity and pony up the dough for your new car, and life will go on as it was before. But what if you’re not that lucky? What you say and do now could limit your legal options, and each passing moment provides more time for important evidence to be lost and the memories of witnesses to fade.

An attorney could help you deal with the insurance company and get a better payout for your ruined car. Your attorney could also help you file a personal injury lawsuit against another driver involved in your accident. You say that the accident was not your fault; was it caused by someone else’s negligence? If it was, then you could have a case. But don’t answer that question yourself: Contact an attorney, show them everything that you have related to your case (including medical bills, police reports from the accident, and records of communication between you, the other driver or drivers, and the insurance company), and ask them to tell you what they think. If they take you on as a client, they’ll lay out all of your legal options.

Only a lawyer can tell you if you have a case and what you may be able to win in court. Meanwhile, you should start thinking about how you’re going to get around. Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t always pay out a fair price for totaled vehicles. You may not be able to find a car available at a price that’s equivalent to what your own car was worth, and that could force you to spend more than you’d like to. And buying a car now will leave you with a bit of uncertainty, because you’re still not sure what you’ll get from the insurance company.

Still, you should take a look at your options. Don’t assume that you have to buy the cheapest car you find. That could end up being more expensive, because clunkers can be costly to maintain. You might be surprised by the availability of affordable options, say the experts at a car dealer in Enfield, CT. Dealers may be able to cut you a deal or offer favorable financing. A used car that you can count on — such as one that has been certified by the manufacturer or the dealer — could offer the value “sweet spot” between cars that are too pricey and cars that are unreliable.

This is also stuff that you could discuss with your attorney. Again, only an attorney can tell you whether you have a case and what expenses a potential award could cover — so go make an appointment for an initial consultation right away.