65d22a3f-4161-4dad-8376-6a7cb8e3a9b7.sized-1000x1000.jpg

A new UW-Madison Marching Band Director has been selected for the first time in 50 years. 

UW-Madison announces new band director

After 50 years of marching to the same beat, UW-Madison announced they have selected a new band director to replace Wisconsin legend Mike Leckrone. 

Corey Pompey will take over as UW-Madison Band Director this summer, bidding Leckrone, who led his final performance just over a week ago, farewell. Selected by the Mead Witter School of Music, Pompey brings years of music education experience to UW-Madison. He will leave behind his position as the director of athletic bands and associate director of bands for the University of Nevada, Reno. 

Susan Cook, director of the School of Music, said Pomey was a clear choice. 

“He has deep musicianship along with an enthusiasm and energy on the podium that was infectious; he really connected with the students.”

UW-Madison marching band Drum Major CJ Zabat, who was able to participate in the selection process, agreed with Cook saying, “He was aware of everyone in the room with him, and it was clear there were a lot of musical gears turning in his head.”

Pomey told university officials he believes collaboration, music selection and the student experience are factors that he plans to emphasize when leading the UW-Madison marching band. 

Pomey said he is honored to have the opportunity and he “looks forward to carrying on the excellence of the program.”