news_bascom.jpg

New initiative to transform administrative processes starts at UW-Madison. 

UW launches new initiative to enhance administrative processes

University of Wisconsin System schools, including UW-Madison, are launching a new initiative that will modernize administrative processes in response to the expanding teaching and research environment on campuses across the state. 

In February, the Board of Regents Business and Financial Committee agreed to finance a plan proposed by UW System and UW-Madison finance and administration, which would change financial and human resources processes at campuses across the state. The plan detailed the implementation of cloud-based programming to standardize these administration processes.

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Communications John Lucas said the intent of the initiative is to leverage modern technology to simplify administrative work that supports the university’s academic mission, provides meaningful data that enhances decision-making and also strengthens information security.

The project budget will also prioritize changing management, communication and organizational designs. 

“Improvements in technology do not provide all the answers to our administrative challenges,” said Lucas. “We need to invest in communications and efforts at managing these changes for people to clearly understand how they can use these processes and systems to better serve the campus community.”

In an email to UW-Madison employees, Laurent Heller, UW-Madison vice chancellor for finance and administration, said that the current administrative systems do not accommodate the growing complex needs of UW System schools, saying the current systems in place “make it more difficult to accomplish the basic work of the university.”

Lucas said UW-Madison is working closely with campus leaders, administrative staff and shared governance groups to get the initiative up and running and make the transition smooth for all.