news_langdon.jpg

Officials’ diverse backgrounds hope to provide a comprehensive review of UW-Madison’s sorority and fraternity life.

External Greek life review team to welcome open comments Sunday

Experts tasked with the external review of UW-Madison’s Greek life will be on campus starting this Sunday. 

The review team, composed of five outside officials, will host an open session from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, April 1, at Memorial Union where input from the Madison community will be welcomed.

The visit comes after a February announcement in which university officials stated the purpose of the external review was to assess, clarify and strengthen the relationship between the university and the fraternity and sorority communities, established since 1857.

“We’re excited to welcome these nationally recognized experts to campus,” Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor said in a statement. “They are experienced leaders who understand the environment and culture of fraternity and sorority life and can help us enhance the positive contributions of this community.”

Members of the team include staff from both Ohio State and Florida State University; La Casa de Amistad, a Latino youth and community center in South Bend, Indiana; Southern Methodist and Rutger University. 

“I fully support the charge for an external review of the entire FSL community,” Ace Hilliard, a graduate of UW-Madison and member of Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority Inc. said according to a university release. “It will give our institutional leadership the awareness of the issues the community is having on a systematic and community-wide level, and this review could show where and what improvements could be made to give our students the ability to thrive as Greek leaders on this campus.”