news_Vilas.jpeg

After pipes burst in Vilas Communication Hall and the Chemistry Daniels Building, the buildings are closed until Wednesday. 

Vilas Hall, Chemistry Building floods cause course relocation

Days after a pipe burst inside the Chemistry Daniels Building, standing water and broken ceiling tiles littered the floors of Vilas Communication Hall Sunday.  

UW-Madison decided to relocate classes through Tuesday in both buildings as the result of intense flooding that caused serious structural damage. 

The burst inside Vilas was discovered after a fire alarm was triggered, alerting the Madison Fire Department, but water had already spread through the first floor.

The impact of a burst pipe in Vilas carried into the School of Journalism and Mass Communication’s offices, said UW-Madison News and Media Relations Director Meredith McGlone. 

Classes scheduled in the two university buildings have been moved to other locations, including the Natatorium and the Education Building. 

An evacuation of all students and staff that were in the building stemmed from the flooding of the Chemistry Building Friday. The building was closed throughout the weekend. 

A water pipe broke on the first floor of the building, leading water to fill several floors — including the home of the undergraduate chemistry laboratory courses. 

“We are assessing damage at this time and moving toward cleanup and restoration in the most safe and effective way possible,” said Judith Burstyn, the chair of the Chemistry Department. 

For now lab courses have been postponed, but students will receive word about those section in the near future, according to Burstyn.