Top 5 sports moments of the year

J.J. Watt will return to Camp Randall this spring to give the commencement address for the class of 2019.  

J.J. Watt announced as spring commencement speaker

National Football League star J.J. Watt will return to Camp Randall as the commencement speaker for the spring graduation, UW-Madison announced Wednesday. 

Watt currently plays for the Houston Texans, but will return to his old stomping grounds to give his address to thousands of graduates and their family and friends. 

He was personally selected by the senior class officers. His travel expenses will be covered by the university but he will not be paid additionally. 

During his time playing football at UW-Madison, Watt became a star defensive lineman and second-team All-American. He was also named “the best defensive player of his generation” by Sports Illustrated. 

After his time as a Badger, Watt launched the Justin J. Watt Foundation, which helps fund after-school athletic programs in middle schools in Wisconsin and Texas. 

Watt was featured in a video shared on Facebook by UW-Madison. He congratulated the class of 2019 and said he “can’t wait to get back to Camp Randall.”