Senior forward Marsha Howard followed up her 1000th career point against Ohio State with a dominant game at home Wednesday night versus Illinois.

Wisconsin looks to break slump against No. 25 Indiana Hoosiers

The Wisconsin women’s basketball team (1-3 Big Ten, 10-6 overall) will look to break a recent slump as they play the No. 25 Indiana Hoosiers (3-1, 14-2) Sunday. 

Wisconsin has lost three of its last four with the most recent loss a 71-53 defeat to the No. 17 Iowa Hawkeyes (2-2, 11-4) where nothing went the Badgers’ way. A first quarter run by the Hawkeyes early in the game gave them a lead that they never looked back on. Some of the same problems that have hurt the Badgers all year seemed to trouble them yet again. Wisconsin shot 2-for-12 (16.7 percent) from the free throw line, which is one of their worst showings from the charity stripe this season. 

Efforts of a comeback throughout the game for Wisconsin continuously got shot down by carelessness with the ball. The Badgers would bring the game close then commit a costly turnover, giving the ball along with momentum back to the Hawkeyes. Late in the game, fouls helped give Iowa a commanding lead to finish out the game. 

While there weren’t many positives to take away from the game, the Badgers did get to see the emergence of young star Imani Lewis. The freshman forward played one of her best games on the season as she racked up a double-double while also leading the team in points, rebounds, steals and free throws made. She finished with 22 points, 11 rebounds and two steals. 

The Badgers face another challenge against the Hoosiers. Indiana has won four of their last five games and looks to get revenge after a tough five-point loss against Ohio State on Thursday. 

The Hoosiers are dominated by three main stars: sophomore guard Jaelynn Penn, junior guard Ali Patberg and junior forward Brenna Wise. The three players combine to average over half their team’s total points per game. Wise and Patberg are two of the Hoosiers' most efficient rebounders, picking up over 100 rebounds on the year. The duo is also very dynamic from the free throw line, as they both shoot over 80 percent from the line. 

One of the main matchups to watch in this game will be Wisconsin’s senior guard Kelly Karlis and Indiana’s Patberg. The two players have similar roles on their respective teams, and both have been contributing a lot more to their teams recently. 

At the looks of it this game isn’t supposed to be a close one, but if Wisconsin is able to stick to what they do best, they may be able to come out on top. Wisconsin will need to capitalize on turnovers, shut down the three-point shot and not commit unnecessary fouls. On the other hand, Indiana will have to be able to stop Wisconsin’s stars if it wants to make the game easier on itself. 

Tip off is at 2 p.m. Central Time.