Native November helps pay tribute to the ancestry and traditions of Native Americans.

UW-Madison students organize events to celebrate Native American heritage month

UW-Madison’s Native November Planning Leadership, composed of organizations like American Indian Science and Engineering Society and the Gender and Sexuality Campus Center, has collaborated to organize a series of events to celebrate Native American Heritage Month.

This celebration is a part of Nation Native American Heritage Month, celebrated in November to pay tribute to the ancestry and traditions of Native Americans.

Native November will kick off on Nov. 2 with a film screening of “First Daughter” followed by a discussion panel and events to be held until the end of the month.

Other events that are planned for the month include a beading workshop, a documentary screening and a discussion panel.

The history of UW-Madison makes Native November an especially important event for students.

UW-Madison sits on native Ho-Chunk land, which is one of the 11 federally recognized American Indians Nations in the State of Wisconsin. For millennia, the land occupied by the city of Madison was called Dejope and was an important cultural and government center for Ho-Chunk people.