Students gather to discuss health disparities across campus

The UW-Madison Student Pre-Health Committee held a Health Disparities Lecture that was open to the public on Thursday night in Grainger Hall.

Keynote speaker Dr. Jennifer Edgoose, an associate professor at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, discussed the topic of moving beyond health disparities and race to reach health equity for minorities.

She said social determinants of health are health behaviors, clinical care, social and economic factors and physical environment — and that changing demographics make this issue imperative.

“Racism is pervasive and impacts both our public and private lives. Cultural competency is not enough,” Edgoose said. “We should move toward cultural humility which is lifelong learning about oneself and those ‘other’ to us.”

Wisconsin has one of the greatest gaps in health outcomes between white and African American children. Edgoose advised students to work towards health equity rather than equality to give everyone the same opportunities.

“This event is important to us because, as aspiring health care professionals, we need to be aware of the healthcare inequities and be able to provide adequate care,” said Millie Klamen, member of the Student Pre-Health Committee.

Students could pick up to two breakout sessions to attend after the keynote speaker where they could discuss issues of race and health, LGBTQ+ health or social determinants of health.