Happ records second triple-double in school history in win against Coppin State

The Wisconsin men’s basketball team began the 2018-'19 campaign in style Tuesday night, winning 85-63 over Coppin State at the Kohl Center.

Senior forward Ethan Happ recorded the second triple-double in Badgers history, tallying 10 points, 11 rebounds and 12 assists. Sophomore guard D’Mitrik Trice scored a career-high 21 points, including five three-pointers to lead the team, while junior guard Brevin Pritzl knocked down four triples and finished with 16 points.

Happ joined Josh Gasser, who notched a triple-double in 2011, as the only Badgers to accomplish the feat. He also made all four of his free throws and left to a strong ovation with 6:32 left to play.

The Badgers got out to a 26-point lead in the first half and led 49-27 at the break. They shot 50 percent from the floor, including 9 of 17 from three-point range and 12 of 12 from the free-throw line in the first period.

Lamar Morgan scored 15 points to pace Coppin State. Taqwain Drummond was the only other Eagle to score in double-digits with 11 points.

Similar to the exhibition against UW-Oshkosh, Wisconsin got off to a hot start before cooling off after the break. The Badgers shot only 33 percent from the field in the second half and 20 percent from beyond the three-point arc. However, the lead they built in the first 20 minutes was more than enough to carry them over the finish line. 

This is an instant recap. Check back for more coverage at dailycardinal.com/section/sports.