UW-Whitewater Chancellor’s husband barred from campus following sexual harassment investigation

UW-Whitewater Chancellor Beverly Kopper and Pete Hill started their positions in 2015, the same year as Hill’s first allegations.

UW-Whitewater’s chancellor’s husband has been prohibited from returning to the campus and stripped of his unpaid position following sexual harassment allegations Friday.

Chancellor Beverly Kopper disclosed the news in a statement that supported the accusations with “merit.” Prior to the release, her husband, Pete Hill, was fired from his position as associate to the chancellor and is no longer able to attend UW-Whitewater events.

Following Kopper’s start as chancellor in 2015, Hill became an associate, which often included going to fundraising and alumni events. Since then, there has been three incidents documented involving him.

“As you can imagine, this is a challenging and unique set of circumstances for me as a wife, as a woman and as your Chancellor,” Kopper said in the statement. “As your Chancellor, I have worked diligently to ensure each of you has the supportive environment you need and deserve in which to do your amazing work.”

After the investigation, UW System President Ray Cross sent the Board of Regents’ conclusions to Kopper, which found that the allegations were justified and Hill was expected to immediately leave his post at the university.

The allegations included a “full-body” hug that lasted “too long,” and going in for a kiss on the mouth. It was reported he often called women “babe” and “sweetie.” Both incidents occurred in 2015, but Hill denied the accusations via his attorney. He claimed he “did not remember” the incidents but did not deny them from occurring.

In April 2018, a female employee was sitting between Hill and the chancellor at an event. That employee told an investigator that he squeezed her knee under the table “no less than three times.” Hill said that it occurred one time instead of three because “he had to move her leg so he could reach his own to massage a cramp in his calf.”

After the investigation concluded, Cross issued a statement announcing the chancellor executed the System’s recommendations.

“I am confident the Chancellor will continue to make the well-being of the UW-Whitewater campus community a top priority,” Cross said in the statement. “In the UW System, it is one of our primary responsibilities to provide students, faculty and staff with a safe educational and work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.”

One of the women decided not to come forward at first for fear of retaliation and wanting to keep their “friendly working relationship” in tact. She also wanted to avoid embarrassing the chancellor by revealing the incident. The chancellor released the statement on her own accord with the UW System’s permission.

“I remain deeply committed to serving you and continuing the work of our University to provide our students with an education that is truly transformational and to make a difference in our communities, the state, nation and the world,” Kopper said.