UW-Madison receives No. 15 ranking for public universities

The department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning said it is committed to fostering a safe campus climate, despite being shadowed by a legacy of sexual misconduct.

Image By: Jake Scubish

UW-Madison ranks 15th among public colleges, according to rankings released today by U.S. News & World Report.

Overall, UW-Madison ranks 49th in a four-way tie. Last year, the university ranked 12th among public colleges and 46th overall in a six-way tie. The rankings include over 301 national doctoral universities.

Rankings are based on a series of categories including undergraduate academic reputation, graduate rate performances, student excellence, faculty resources, financial resources, support from alumni, graduation and retention rates and social mobility. Each category is assigned a weight based on importance by U.S. News.

UW-Madison’s College of Engineering and the Wisconsin School of Business ranked 14th and 18th overall, respectively. The insurance/risk management program ranked second overall and second among public universities while the real estate program ranked second overall and first among public universities.

UW-Madison also ranks as the 23rd “Best College for Veterans.”

UW-Madison performed well in a variety of other recent rankings, including The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education, Center for World University Rankings and Forbes Top Colleges.