Hours after a shooting in Middleton, a number of gun-related incidents caused two Madison schools to go into lockdown and UW-Madison to warn students.

Gun crimes plague Madison area Wednesday

The Madison area faced several gun-related incidents Wednesday, which forced local schools into lockdown and prompted UW-Madison to send WiscAlerts to students.

Less than six hours after the gunman in Middleton opened fire, injuring four, a teenager suffered a bullet wound while riding a Madison Metro bus. 

A fifteen-year-old suspect was reportedly showing the gun to the sixteen-year-old victim when it fired, striking him in the leg.

Police were called and the suspect fled in the direction of La Follette High School and Sennett Middle School, which were placed on lockdown for nearly two hours. 

Madison Police Department’s Violent Crimes Unit arrested the suspect Thursday morning.

Later Wednesday evening, an employee at a Subway restaurant on Madison’s west side reported a shot fired as the restaurant was robbed. Police could not find a bullet hole or shell casing, meaning the gun used by the robber could have been a starter pistol or some other fake weapon.

Starting shortly after 11:15 p.m. Wednesday night, a man was spotted carrying multiple holstered firearms on State Street.

A WiscAlert was sent out to UW-Madison students at 1:24 a.m. Thursday, warning them to avoid the area and seek a safe location. The alert was lifted at 2:41 a.m. as the man had left the area. 

Police say the incident ended without conflict. Although alerts were issued, the armed man did not appear to have committed any crimes considering Wisconsin is an ‘open carry’ state.