Walker to consider $107 million budgeted for student financial aid

Along with the operating budget, the Board of Regents also endorsed a $1.96 billion capital budget recommendation going towards renovation and repair throughout UW schools. 

In hopes of avoiding raising tuition and student fees, the Board of Regents voted to send the requested $107 million in aid to Gov. Scott Walker in hopes of approval. This will be considered as Walker drafts the upcoming executive budget.

In June, the regents increased the cost of four-year schools an average of $158 in student fees and room-and-board costs. For six years, UW System tuition costs have remained frozen. Walker decided to maintain the freeze for the next four years in July.

“Now is very important to do this in light of the budget, but frankly, even more important isn’t to do it after the budget — it’s to do it all the time,” said Regent Regina Millner.

The Guardians Initiative, which works to reignite and develop public trust in higher education, presented to the regents. They take a look at various perspectives, including affordability, talent development and return on investment.

“College graduates will earn more, pay more in taxes, be more engaged citizens and are better prepared to adapt to an ever changing future,” The Initiative wrote in their presentation.

Wisconsin lawmakers disagree on the terms of the budget proposal, as Republicans see the aid as “appropriate” and “timely,” while Democrats view it as an “inappropriately political” decision.

“The public uncertainty about the value of higher education should give us all concern,” said Ryan Ring, a UW-Eau Claire student regent. “That includes significant concerns from my peers, people I know, who wonder whether the cost of a college degree is worth it.”

Leading Republican UW System leaders supported the aid as the result of declining state funds and the tuition freeze, noting the $250 million cut in the budget made by Walker in 2015. However, some voiced their concerns about the current proposal’s ability to delegate what the system values, including the decision to keep tuition costs frozen.

“The bottom line is I don’t think this is a truthful budget of what our needs are,” said state Superintendent Tony Evers. “I think this budget does not make the cut in my mind.”