Coach Chryst is one of the twelve members of Wisconsin football to test positive for COVID-19

Wisconsin cancels spring football game due to strong chance of inclement weather

Due to the threat of inclement weather, the University of Wisconsin has cancelled its spring football game originally scheduled for this Friday at 6 p.m. The game will not be rescheduled.

“The safety of our student-athletes and fans is our utmost priority,” UW Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez said in a release. “The weather forecast has been pretty consistent in calling for a good chance of rain and thunderstorms on Friday. We thought it was best to make the call early to give the numerous groups involved in the game, including our team, our fans, our media partners and staff, notice of the cancellation as soon as possible.”

Additionally, with the weather forecast calling for a strong chance of heavy rain and thunderstorms during the afternoon and evening, the Badger Sports Kids’ fair, which had been scheduled to take place in the McClain Center prior to the game, will also be canceled.

Instead of the game, the Badgers will use the McClain Center for a practice that will be closed to the public.

“It’s certainly disappointing for our fans who wanted a chance to see our team and for our players who always look forward to playing in Camp Randall,” head coach Paul Chryst said. “Unfortunately some things are beyond your control.”

The Badgers have five practices left this spring and will wrap up their spring football schedule on Friday, April 20.

Wisconsin opens its regular season August 31 at home against Western Kentucky.