Three finalists have been chosen to fill the role of vice provost for libraries.

UW-Madison narrows list for vice provost of libraries position

A search and screen committee has named three finalists for the next vice provost for university libraries after presenting its recommendations to Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf, UW-Madison announced Tuesday.

The 11-member search committee — chaired by Director of The Information School Kristin Eschenfelder — selected Lisa R. Carter, the associate director of special collections and area studies at The Ohio State University Libraries; M. Elizabeth Cowell, a university librarian at University of California, Santa Cruz; and Todd Grappone, associate university librarian for digital initiatives and information technology at the University of California, Los Angeles.

The announcement comes nearly six months after Edward Van Gemert, vice provost for libraries, announced that he will retire in May. Van Gemert worked with libraries for 46 years and put in 36 years of continuous employment with the General Library System. He accepted the position of vice provost for libraries under then-Provost Paul DeLuca in 2013.

UW-Madison Libraries is one of the largest public university library systems in the country, according to the news release. Library collections and services are coordinated through the leadership of the GLS, which provides technical infrastructure, support for acquisitions and integration of campus library services.

The GLS has a budget of more than $24.7 million and a collection budget of approximately $11 million, according to the release. It oversees 15 libraries — including Memorial Library, the largest library in Wisconsin — and other specialized and professional libraries. The overall campus libraries’ collection budget is approximately $13 million.

Candidates will host public presentations during which they will lay out their vision for the role of vice provost of libraries. Presentations will be in the Biotech Auditorium, 425 Henry Mall, Room 1111 during the following times:

• Cowell from 1 to 2:30 p.m. March 20
  • Grappone from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 2
  • Carter from 1 to 2:30 p.m. April 4.

Videos of the presentations will be posted after each session.