Wisconsin artist Roy Chi will design a sculpture aimed at making residents and visitors feel welcome on Madison’s east side.

New public sculpture on Johnson Street aims to welcome all

The city of Madison Common Council approved last week the Madison Art Commission's choice of Roy Chi’s proposal for a new piece of art in Pennsylvania Park, located on East Johnson Street.

“The People’s Pronouns,” will be composed of two sculptures at opposite ends of the park. Each sculpture will be a different pronoun, one being “WE” and the other “OUR.” The work, according to Madison Parks Superintendent Eric Knepp, is meant to provide “opportunities for cultural interaction.”

Chi, a Milwaukee artist and educator, aims to produce an environment that is welcoming and culturally aware. He noted he hopes his work reflects the sentiment “you are welcome here.” Chi has had works on exhibit in galleries both across the state and nation.

Chi’s winning proposal was chosen from a group of finalists, including Suikang Zhao and the studio Actual Size Artworks. Residents of the Emerson East neighborhood were able to submit comments on what work they wanted before the commission made their final choice.

The $40,000 for the commission was drawn from the city’s Community Development Block Grant entitlement funding, and was intended for use towards the revitalization of the Emerson East neighborhood.

While meant to draw people to the Emerson East neighborhood, park administration also hopes the work will welcome people to Madison, as well as to the future Public Market that will be located nearby.

“The People’s Pronouns” is anticipated to be finished in the fall of 2018.