Future Badgers still awaiting acceptance can protest gun violence without rejection from UW-Madison

UW-Madison told students awaiting a decision on their application that they would not be jeopardized for participating in a national walkout to protest gun violence.

UW-Madison administration reassured students that participation in April’s national walkout in protest of gun violence in schools would not hurt their chances of being admitted to the university, the Journal Sentinel reported Monday.

After receiving a tweet asking about what repercussions students could face if they leave class on March 14 for 17 minutes — each minute representing one of the victims killed in the recent Parkland shooting — the university responded that UW-Madison “supports the rights of students to lawful protest. Doing so will not impact one’s prospects for admission.”

This comes after Cornell University tweeted Sunday that the institution believes in civic discussion and public engagement. As a result, no applicants to the university would be punished for taking part in the national walkout.

“Disciplinary action resulting from responsible engagement in non-violent protest will not jeopardize admission to Cornell,” the tweet said.