Fall into the local autumn spirit

The changing leaves and crisp air have those on campus reaching for comfy sweaters, stopping in at the nearest Starbucks to grab a Pumpkin Spice Latte and cozying up near the fire while watching Sunday Night Football games. That’s right, fall is upon us.

While partaking in these activities is a natural reaction for many when the cool fall weather hits, there are plenty of other ways to fully indulge in the fall spirit. Whether you are looking for something artsy, active or relaxing, here are five fall-themed, and fully Instagrammable, things to do to celebrate the fall season.

Find the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

The quintessential fall outing involves picking your own pumpkin, preferably at a local farm. Stopping by Target or Pick’n Save may be the easy option when it comes to snagging a pumpkin to spice up your apartment, but local farms such as Schuster’s and Treinen offer acres upon acres of pumpkins to choose from. If making your way off campus to a local farm is not in the cards, consider stopping by the Dane County Farmer’s Market on a Saturday morning as pumpkins and gourds are beginning to pop up at various vendors. Be sure to customize your pumpkin by either painting or carving it at home!

Get Lost in a Corn Maze

Have you ever wanted to get lost in the eyes of a true stud, Bucky Badger? Well, now you can. This year, local family farm Enchanted Valley Acres shaped their corn maze in the image of the beloved Bucky Badger. If you’re not confident in your abilities to make it out of the big corn maze, they also offer a smaller, one-acre maze, for those who may not be the best at directions. General admission to Enchanted Valley Acres is $10, which includes access to hayrides, their giant slide and of course, their Bucky corn maze.

Pick the Perfect Apple

Fall means that local apple orchards are bursting with seasonal apples just waiting to be picked. Whether you are looking for a single apple or a brimming bag full, local farms and apple orchards are the best place to shop during the fall. A few apple orchards near campus include Jones Orchard, Eplegaarden and Bickler’s Apple Farm. Local farms offer a variety of apples, but if you are looking for a specific type, be sure to check their produce varieties before visiting. To save you the time, Jones Orchard and Green’s Pleasant Springs Orchard currently offer Honeycrisp apples. You’re welcome.

Did Someone Say “Pie”?

Now that you have had the chance to pick your pumpkins and gather your apples, there is no excuse not to call up your mom to get her favorite pie recipes. Fall baking is the best as apple and pumpkin pies are staple treats. Whether you are baking alone or with friends, the sweet smells that fill your kitchen are reason enough to budget the two hours it may take to prepare and bake your sweet treats. As Friends-Giving nears, you will be the star of the meal as you dazzle your friends with your pie-baking skills.

Get Spooky

For all you thrill seekers, fall is your season to thrive. ‘Tis the season to get spooky and as we near Halloween, there are tons of haunted houses and trails to visit. Just south of campus, visit Horror in the Dark at Olin Park, a local haunted house. Or, if you are up for a drive and in the mood for some realistic zombies, make your way to Wisconsin Scaryland in Waunakee. Wisconsin Scaryland is a live-actor haunt, truly meant to make you scream. It is not for the faint of heart. For the rest of us, a scary movie streamed at the Marquee at Union South may be the perfect balance of thrill instead. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Shaun of the Dead (2004) and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) all play throughout the month of October.