Badgers look for road sweep against Minnesota State

This week, the No. 1 ranked Wisconsin Badgers (6-0-0) head to Mankato for a very familiar matchup versus the Minnesota State Mavericks (1-2-1). The two teams have played 83 contests all-time, with Wisconsin holding an impressive lead of 78-2-3. This season, the Badgers are a perfect 2-0-0 on the road, while the Mavericks have a disappointing 0-2-0 record at home.

It will be a reunion of sorts for head coach Mark Johnson, who played on the 1980 Olympic gold medal-winning “Miracle” team with Minnesota State’s head coach John Harrington. The two both had points in the famous matchup versus the Soviet Union. The two have had slightly divergent coaching records, though, with Johnson having an impressive 434 wins over 15 years with the Badgers to Harrington’s 11 wins over three with the Mavericks.

Senior forward Baylee Wellhausen looks to re-enter the lineup this weekend after being held out the last three games with an apparent upper-body injury. Wellhausen, with appearances in only three games, is pointless on the season. Look for the captain to have an inspiring effect on teammates in her return.

Redshirt sophomore goaltender Kristen Campbell, is coming off of another strong week. Campbell earned WCHA Defensive Player of the Week honors for being the only WCHA goalie to go 2-0-0 last weekend. The transfer from North Dakota had a .67 goals against average and .963 save percentage last weekend against Syracuse. On the season, Campbell has only let in four goals to go along with a notable .67 goals against average and .963 save percentage.

The series starts tonight at 7 p.m. in Mankato, with the second game on Saturday at 3 p.m. Look for the top-ranked Badgers to continue their winning ways against the outmatched and unranked Mavericks.