Get your sweat on, sans the SERF

Nearly a month has passed since the University’s beloved SERF closed its doors and said farewell until 2020. Gone are the beloved basketball courts, cardio room and pool that served as the central workout facility for the Southeast community.

Since the SERF officially closed on August 18, many students have been at a loss as to where to go to get their workouts in. Despite the closing of the SERF, there are plenty of other options both on and near campus to get your sweat on.

Ogg Hall Fitness Center

To help fill the gap that the SERF left in the Southeast community, Rec Sports transformed the main lounge of Ogg Hall into the Ogg Hall Fitness Center. Complete with a variety of cardio machines, free weights and weight machines, the newest fitness center accommodates a variety of workouts. Doors to Ogg Hall are open during the Fitness Center hours, but be aware that the Fitness Center closes on Badger Football home game days.

The Natatorium

The Nat is one of the busiest workout facilities on campus due to the closing of the SERF. Whether you’re looking to play basketball or badminton, hit the cardio or weight rooms, or go for a swim in the eight-lane pool, it is all possible at the Nat. The Nat also now serves as the primary facility for Group Fitness classes.

The Shell

Officially known as the Camp Randall Sports Center, the Shell is a good option for those living in the Southeast neighborhood who are not looking to make the cross-campus trek to the Nat. The Shell offers various places to work out, including four basketball courts, an indoor track, weight lifting machines and a few cardio machines. If you’re looking for a “chiller” workout, look no further. The Shell also boasts an ice rink and skates are available to rent. Like the Ogg Hall Fitness Center, the Shell closes its doors on Badger Football home game days.

The Nielsen Tennis Stadium

A well-kept Rec Sports secret, the Nielsen Tennis Stadium is located just past the Nat and serves all your tennis and squash needs. The facility has both indoor and outdoor tennis courts, making it easy to play year-round. The 80 bus stops a short walk away from the facility, so there really is no excuse not to venture out to play a match.

The Near West Fields

The opening of the Near West Fields marked the completion of the first project for the Rec Sports Master Plan—a plan for new recreational facilities on campus for the next 50 years. Synthetic turf covers nearly seven acres of land that is usable for flag football, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, baseball and softball games.

Anytime Fitness

Located above Walgreens on East Campus Mall, Anytime Fitness is a great option if you’re looking for a place to get in a cardio or lifting workout at any time of the day. The space has cardio machines, free weights and weight machines. To see if Anytime Fitness is the right fit for you, apply for a free, seven day pass online.

Kamps Fitness

Look no further for a HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout that will kick you into shape. Located below the Hub, Kamps Fitness offers a variety of group fitness classes ranging from upper and lower body to core and arms. And, if you need more incentive to get your sweat on, Bachelorette favorite Peter Kraus serves as one of the seven trainers at Kamps Fitness.

Southwest Commuter and Lakeshore Paths

Run, walk or bike on either of the two paths that wind their way through campus. The Lakeshore Path is a great option if you’re looking for a scenic jog along the lake. Meanwhile, the Southwest Commuter Path stretches well beyond the confines of campus. If you don’t own a bike, rent one from one of the Madison BCycle stations scattered throughout campus.

Inner Fire Yoga

Slow things down, while getting a great workout at Inner Fire Yoga. Whether you are a yoga novice or pro, Inner Fire Yoga offers a variety of classes — including hot yoga. Your first class is free, so if you’re not sure if yoga is for you, test out a class at Inner Fire.