Larry Seidl, 18, was arrested twice in two consecutive weekends for incidents in Sellery and Ogg Halls.

Gas leak in Sellery causes evacuation, road closures

A gas leak occurred at Sellery Residence Hall Monday, causing the building to be evacuated and the surrounding area to be closed off.

UW-Madison Police Department and Madison Gas & Electric responded to the scene after they received a call around 3 p.m. The cause and location of the leak is currently unknown, according to UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott.

“The gas at this point has been shut off but we’re still keeping people away,” Lovicott said. “We’ve closed up some traffic as a precaution, and MG&E is on site and they’re working on figuring out exactly where the gas leak is and what the cause was.”

Gordon Commons was evacuated, and pedestrian and vehicle traffic was closed on W. Dayton Street as well as W. Johnson Street for approximately an hour.

All areas surrounding Sellery, with the exception of the residence hall itself, reopened around 4:30 p.m., according to a UWPD tweet.

UPDATED July, 17 2017 5:09 p.m:. This story was updated to add information about the status of road and building closures.