Faculty Senate passes transgender rights resolution

UW-Madison’s Faculty Senate unanimously approved a statement Monday in support of transgender rights for students, faculty and staff on campus.

The resolution comes after an unnamed professor recruit turned down a job offer from UW-Madison due to the political climate on campus, and two transgender former UW-Madison faculty sued the state after being refused gender reassignment medical treatment under their state employee insurance coverage.

It states that members of UW-Madison’s transgender community have the right to pursue an education or career on campus with “safety and dignity” as well as receive the same “benefits, privileges and protections” that the rest of the UW-Madison community enjoys.

Ellen Samuels, a professor in the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies, presented the resolution and urged members to pass it. She specifically cited gender-inclusive health care coverage as a critical issue. Samuels said the Associated Students of Madison already passed a similar resolution, which is being evaluated by the Academic Staff Executive Committee and university staff.

“There is a really unfavorable climate right now in the country, in the state and particularly at the university for transgender students, faculty and staff,” Samuels said.

Many people who spoke during the meeting’s open forum said the resolution was the “least administration could do” to show their support of the school’s transgender community.

UW-Madison undergraduate Sunny Singh, who spoke at the open forum in support of the resolution, said he expected it to get passed.

“When it comes to your accountability, I feel that it’s not just saying that you support somebody. It’s taking action, taking steps to action,” Singh said. “I think this is a tiny step in the right direction, I just hope there’s more.”