Man accused of stealing car near UW-Madison campus arrested in Michigan

A man suspected of recently stealing a vehicle from a residence near the UW-Madison campus and being involved in several home burglaries has been arrested in Michigan following a police chase.

Cleaster L. Moon, 22, was arrested for fleeing and eluding, possession of stolen property and on a Dane County warrant.

Police identified Moon in Benton Harbor, Mich. after he sideswiped a car—which was stolen from a Van Hise Avenue home Feb. 5—and ran it into a ditch Monday, Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain said in an incident report.

A warrant was issued after testing allowed MPD’s Burglary Crime Unit to connect Moon to a 2015 burglary on the West Side of Madison in which a homeowner and his wife found Moon inside their home and their garage door kicked in. Moon punched the homeowner several times during an altercation.

Moon is a suspect in several other recent home burglaries around Madison, DeSpain said, including some where the burglar entered a home through an unlocked window while residents slept.

“He is a good one to have off the streets,” DeSpain told The Daily Cardinal.

MPD, along with other local law enforcement, attempted to arrest Moon in recent months but failed to catch him.

BCU detectives are continuing to investigate Moon's involvement in other related incidents.