State places 31st in private sector job growth

Wisconsin ranks 31st in the country in job creation, according to a quarterly report from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics released Wednesday.

The quarterly jobs census, which measures positions created from June 2015 to June 2016, shows roughly one percent growth in that time period. That equals a little over 25,000 jobs.

Department of Workforce Development Secretary Ray Allen said that despite the state’s below-average ranking for job creation, Wisconsin still maintains a healthy economy.

"Wisconsin continues to add thousands of private sector jobs year-over-year," Allen said in a statement. "Our economy is growing, and with a lower unemployment rate and higher labor force participation rate than the nation, we will continue helping anyone who wants a job, find a job.”

Allen noted that the state fared better in wage growth, ranking 12th.

The state also ranked in the middle of the pack among Midwestern states, placing behind 16th-place Michigan and 25th-place Indiana. Minnesota finished 33rd, Illinois placed 40th and Iowa finished 42nd.

State Democrats, however, noted that the ranking was indicative of a lagging economy. Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, said Republicans need to do more to create jobs in next year’s session.

“The hardworking people of Wisconsin have suffered under 20 consecutive quarters–or five full years–of below-average job growth. We simply must do better,” Barca said in a statement.

Barca said his caucus would call in the next session for a statewide summit on jobs and work to spur start-up growth.