As Madison becomes a hub for Halloween, costumes often contribute to racism.

Racism clear in October

It is not far-fetched to imagine October to be one of the most troubling times of the year for people of color. Being a week out of October, people of color can finally take a breath that the month is over. Just as the Holloween months of past years, we can annoyingly reflect on the sudden spike of blatant and justified racism we see roaming the streets, speaking in the classrooms and simply living beside us on the day-to-day basis. And we can only grieve in understanding that the costuming of culture, the dismissed threats and the attacks on our lives will continue unchecked by the institutions that support them.

When appropriation and racism have become so integral in our lives, despair seems to be the only response. Our university released a statement that chose to not recognize a noose on the neck of my president as a mountainous problem. Rather, the shameless costume was okayed as freedom of speech. Such institutional support nearly leaves students without argument against the endless feather headdresses, the swastikas on dorms, black T’s that spell out NIGGER and all other manner of racist art and entertainment for a white supremacist society. My question is, where do we take action from here?

October, for all that is involved, has the potential to be an exciting time of the year to be thrilled in colorful fun and filled with warm sweets. However, that potential is lost in a fantasy world only achievable in imagination. For now, what is real is that the art and entertainment world is a playground for racism, especially in the month of October.

Still, this statement lends itself to recognize the strength of people of color and their ability to sing their joys even among troubling times. We can still sing and dance in fellowship to the music of Alicia Keys, Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar and other artist who speak power during such times. I applaud these artists and pray that their lyrics, their voices and their moves never end.