Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
The Daily Cardinal Est. 1892
Friday, June 21, 2024
Workers at Buffalo Wild Wings called 911 to report a gas leak early Friday morning.

Workers at Buffalo Wild Wings called 911 to report a gas leak early Friday morning.

MFD stops potential ‘serious emergency’ at Buffalo Wild Wings

Two people went inside the Buffalo Wild Wings on University Avenue around 4 a.m. Friday to clean the kitchen hood fan. They also ended up preventing what could have been a “serious emergency,” according to the Madison Fire Department.

They noticed the smell of natural gas and called 911, according to an MFD daily report. Firefighters and Madison Gas and Electric officials were dispatched. Firefighters entered the restaurant suited up and with an air monitor in hand.

The firefighters found a leak behind one of the stoves and pulled the stove away to try to stop it.

“Engine 1 left the restaurant to go find the main gas shut-off and turned off all electrical breakers to the business, too,” MFD Public Information Officer Cynthia Schuster wrote in the report. “Meanwhile, security guards inside the Lucky Apartments were informed that a residential evacuation may need to take place if the leak can’t be shut down right away.”

Gas was still flowing freely when firefighters found the gas meters in the lower-level parking of Lucky. However, the meters were surrounded by a chain-linked fence and locked.

“Knowing time was of the essence, Engine 1 climbed the fence to gain access. The meters were not labeled, but one of them was ‘free spinning,’ according to Engine 1’s officer, providing a clue that this was the leaking line,” Schuster wrote. “That meter was shut down just as MGE arrived to confirm firefighters had identified the proper meter.”

Firefighters then returned to the Buffalo Wild Wings to confirm the gas levels were going down, while MGE officials capped the broken gas line.

“A prompt 911 call and swift intervention by firefighters prevented what could have been a serious emergency resulting in multiple injuries at [Lucky],” Schuster wrote.

The employees could get back in to clean the hood and firefighters left the scene around 5:05 a.m. Friday.

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Daily Cardinal delivered to your inbox
Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Daily Cardinal has been covering the University and Madison community since 1892. Please consider giving today.

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal